Substance Law Logo
Over 100 5 star google reviews from Cannabis lawyer canada

What To Do If You Get a Notice of Violation with an Administrative Monetary Penalty in Canada?

Helping Canadian Businesses Get Licences, Stay Onside And Resolve Their Legal Challenges.

Violation with an Administrative Monetary Penalty in Canada

Understanding Administrative Monetary Penalties

Administrative Monetary Penalties (AMPs) are financial penalties imposed by a regulatory body in response to contravention of legislative requirements. AMPs provide regulatory agencies with a flexible enforcement tool to complement other types of regulatory sanctions such as notices of non-compliance, orders, warning letters, and directions. The goal of this penalty is to encourage compliance, serve as a supplement to existing enforcement measures, and offer an alternative to prosecution.

Steps to Take Upon Receiving a Notice of Violation

Receiving a Notice of Violation with an Administrative Monetary Penalty in Canada can be daunting. However, understanding the steps to take can help you navigate the process more effectively. Immediate action is crucial to ensure you respond appropriately and within the stipulated time frames.

Reading Your Notice of Violation

The first step is to thoroughly read your Notice of Violation. This document outlines the specific violations you are being accused of and the corresponding penalties. Pay close attention to the details, as they will guide your next steps.

Understanding Your Certificate of Service

Your Certificate of Service is an important document that confirms the date you received the Notice of Violation. This date is critical because it marks the beginning of the period within which you must respond. Ensure you keep this document safe and refer to it when planning your response.

Available Response Options

Upon receiving a Notice of Violation, you generally have several options:

  1. Pay the penalty: This is the quickest way to resolve the issue but may not always be the best option if you believe the violation is unfounded.
  2. Request a review: You can request a review of the notice if you disagree with the penalty or the facts of the violation. The form requires the requester to indicate whether the request is for a review of the amount of the penalty, the facts of the violation, or both.
  3. Submit a compliance agreement: This option allows you to negotiate terms to rectify the violation without paying the full penalty upfront.

Substance Law can assist you in understanding your options and preparing your response. Their knowledge ensures that you take the most appropriate action, whether it’s paying the penalty, requesting a review, or submitting a compliance agreement.

Contesting a Notice of Violation

Requesting a Review by the Minister

Upon receiving a Notice of Violation, you have the right to request a review by the Minister. This is a crucial step if you believe the notice was issued in error or if you have valid reasons to contest it. You must submit your request within the specified time frame to ensure it is considered. Substance Law can assist you in preparing a compelling case for review, increasing your chances of a favourable outcome.

Submitting a Compliance Agreement

Another option available is to submit a compliance agreement. This involves agreeing to specific terms and conditions to rectify the violation. By doing so, you may avoid harsher penalties and demonstrate your commitment to compliance. Substance Law can guide you through the process, ensuring that the agreement is fair and achievable.

Consequences of Non-Compliance

Failure to respond to a Notice of Violation can lead to severe consequences, including additional fines and enforcement actions. It’s essential to act promptly and seek legal advice to avoid escalating the situation. Substance Law offers expert advice to help you navigate the complexities of administrative monetary penalties and ensure you take the right steps to resolve the issue.

Assessment and Payment of Penalties

How Penalties Are Assessed

Penalties are assessed based on the nature and severity of the violation. Factors such as mitigating and aggravating circumstances are considered. For instance, a base penalty may be adjusted depending on specific factors outlined in the regulations.

Forfeiture and Collection Actions

Failure to pay the assessed penalty can result in forfeiture and collection actions. The government has the authority to take various measures to collect the outstanding amount. Substance Law can assist you in navigating these complex procedures and ensure you meet all legal requirements.


Receiving a Notice of Violation with an Administrative Monetary Penalty in Canada can be a daunting experience, but understanding your rights and options is crucial. By thoroughly reading your Notice of Violation and Certificate of Service, you can determine the nature of the alleged violation and the corresponding penalties. It is essential to act promptly, whether you choose to pay the penalty, enter into a compliance agreement, or request a review by the Minister. Ignoring the notice can lead to further complications, including being deemed to have committed the violation and potential public naming. Always remember that these penalties are designed to ensure compliance with the Canada Labour Code, and there are structured avenues available for you to contest or address the penalties imposed. Stay informed and proactive to navigate this process effectively.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Administrative Monetary Penalty (AMP)?

An Administrative Monetary Penalty (AMP) is a financial penalty issued to promote and ensure compliance with regulations, rather than to punish. These penalties can be imposed by various authorities, including the Commissioner of Canada Elections, under different legislative frameworks.

What should I do if I receive a Notice of Violation?

If you receive a Notice of Violation, you should carefully read the notice to understand the alleged violation, the penalty amount, and your response options. You may request a review by the Minister or other regulatory body, submit a compliance agreement if applicable, or pay the penalty. Failure to respond may result in being deemed to have committed the violation.

Can I contest a Notice of Violation?

Yes, you can generally contest a Notice of Violation by submitting a written request for a review within a set number of days upon the date on the notice.

Get In Touch With Us Now

We Serve Those In The Following Industries… And More! Cannabis • Psychedelics • Vaping • Liquor • Tobacco • Excise Duty • Food & Drugs • NHPs • Money Services Businesses (MSBs), AML & FINTRAC • Crypto • NFTs.

Contact Our Law Practice Now

Book 30-Min Consultation

Book 60-Min Consultation

NOTE: May include referrals to vetted third party law firms, consultants, and other parties.

Please note we also retain the services of lawyers experienced in different areas on a contract basis.

Our Law Firm is Headed by Lawyer Harrison Jordan

Harrison Jordan, Lawyer at Substance Law